Torridge Coastal
Mission Community


St Helen's Church Abbotsham
St Helen's Abbotsham

ACNY 
St Helen’s church stands in its own Benefice and holds to traditional values, which is reflected in its services. It also holds to the House of Bishops Declaration.

The Patronage is held jointly by the Society for the Maintenance of Faith and the PCC. The current church of St. Helens was built in the 13 century and retains many original features. The Medieval carved pew ends, and barrel roof are beautiful examples of that century’s workmanship.

The font is Anglo-Saxon and probably brought from the original church, which had been situated much closer to the coast, when St. Helens was built. The stained-glass
windows are mainly Victorian. One of the earliest is a fine example of Robert Beer of Exeter’s work and dated about 1846; it is one of the few remaining
examples of his work in Devon. The tower is on the north side of the church and houses 6 Bells, one of which is believed to be the oldest in the country.

Home